Bariloche Mountains - Frey Refugio

Bariloche Mountains - Frey Refugio
Bariloche Mountains - Frey Refugio

NYC skyline

NYC skyline

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Bariloche and NYC in September

It's hard to describe the feeling of switching hemispheres, particularly in September, when NYC is getting ready for falling leaves and the first frost -- which will wipe out the flowers in my back yard -- and when Bariloche, Argentina is wrapping up the winter skiing season.  Imagine hiking and even within the city have vistas of snow-covered peaks in a 360 panorama in September!


It was great to spend a week in Bariloche in September and forget the impending leaf-raking.  What made it special was to be able to ski day after day with my daughter--zipping down the slopes of Cerro Catedral.  Well actually, most of the time she was zipping and I was trying to pretend I was leisurely enjoying the slopes at a slower pace.   Only on the steeper and icier runs was I able to keep up with the fanatic Alisa. 

A highlight of my north-south adventure was to join an asado in honor of the departure of one of Alisa's friends.   Normally, the role of chief barbecue chef is a gender-determined one, but this time Alisa took control as chief "Asadora" and handled the key role with expertise and confidence.  And what a demanding crowd--with some of us from el norte asking for rare (and I mean bloody rare) and other more locals asking for a bit on the well-done side.  But it was delicious and she received the appropriate standing and clapping ovation when the barbecue cooking was complete.

And then, with an 11 hour flight back north, I'm looking at 90 degree weather again and leaf-raking.

But, I realize I left you in the lurch about my worms--ones that also stayed behind while I enjoyed the slopes of Bariloche.  Well, I realized why there was earlier trouble--the bottom tray was askew and the critters were not able to crawl back up into the food-laden soil/compost.  As a result, a number created ritual seppuku on the floor in protest of my inattention to their life dilema.   But, all is fine in wormville.  The took my 8-day southern hemisphere without a peep and made major progress on the beets, egg shells and lettuce that I had left them before getting on the plane.  There seem to be even more worms than when I started this adventure, so I am breathing easier.

I am now spreading the worm compost story widely, with several new converts--including Maggie in NYC and maybe Alisa in Bariloche.

It's great to be back in NYC, with its diversity and stimulation.  What a trip.  Thanks, Matias, Juan Andres, Sol, Ashley and Alisa for the fun times!

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment