Bariloche Mountains - Frey Refugio

Bariloche Mountains - Frey Refugio
Bariloche Mountains - Frey Refugio

NYC skyline

NYC skyline

Monday, June 21, 2010

Mold - my first test

Tonight, I lifted the lid of my worm factory to find some of the bread I had thrown in as food to be covered with green/grey mold.   Wondering what I was doing wrong and concerned that my new roommates may be poisoned, I quickly removed some of the biggest bread blobs and stirred the others under the soil--out of sight, out of mind.    But, my conscience led me to research the issue.

I learned that mold is, on one hand, a natural feature because of the fertile microbe environment I had created, but that too much mold (and mine seemed too much) might mean over-feeding.  I was advised by the Wikipedia and blog gods to take out the biggest pieces (which I had already done) and then stir everything up again to mix food and worms and soil.  I was advised to reduce the Ph by using crushed egg shells (another omelet for breakfast?) and coffee grounds.   

Since I never eat breakfast or make coffee for myself in the weekday morning, this was a call for major lifestyle change....what changes we have to go through for progress and knowledge!

I'll try, but not in the morning because I have to catch a train at 7:17 am at Penn Station.  Wednesday, that's my day for making sure all is right with the worm composting.  Whew!

1 comment:

  1. Nice progress, Ed!

    If you need more balance than the limestone provided by the eggshells is giving you, I think limes will help - just use sparingly at first, perhaps! Also, I've read that you can put all of your swept/vacuumed dust into your compost! Cool stuff!

    Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete