Bariloche Mountains - Frey Refugio

Bariloche Mountains - Frey Refugio
Bariloche Mountains - Frey Refugio

NYC skyline

NYC skyline

Friday, June 11, 2010

Worms are Working!!!

 Hi, after several weeks of worm composting, I can state that:
1) there is no smell so far
2) the worms are easy to take care of and feed
3) the worms are hungry
4) They produce real soil!!!
Here are some photos of the soil that the worms have produced in just a few weeks since starting.  It falls through the holes at the bottom of the worm composting bin--which for me is still just 1 "floor."  I need to read more about how to determine when it's time to add another floor and entice the worms to move upstairs by putting food in the second floor.  So much to learn......  But, the message is that it works!


I'll start to put this soil in my plants outside tomorrow.  I'm expecting great things to happen...new blooms on the geraniums, new pansies to pop up.  Hmm.  Wonder if I'm expecting too much.

Looks like a few worms fell down with their soil to the basement level.  Not sure if I should relocate them or let them climb back up to find the food source.   So much to learn....

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment