Bariloche Mountains - Frey Refugio

Bariloche Mountains - Frey Refugio
Bariloche Mountains - Frey Refugio

NYC skyline

NYC skyline

Monday, May 24, 2010

Worms come home


Well, the worms are coming. I have ordered them from the Lower East Side Ecology Center, the primary source of composting worms in Manhattan. I needed to put in an order for 1000 worms (about 1 pound) to be picked up at the farmers' market in Union Square on Wednesday.

That means I need to get the worm composter worm bed ready Tuesday evening. The first layer is of shredded newspaper, which sparked an internal discussion in my mind about which newspaper to use. Which news print and ink would work best? Or should I consider that journalism rags of garbage press will provide better fodder for worms. I can well imagine that the New York Post and Rupert Murdoch would provide much more nutritious garbage than the NY Times, but who knows?

I'll risk using the available NY Times rather than invest in potentially more delicious worm food.

Now I'm supposed to build the worm bed with a "soaked block of coir." I'm glad it was provided with the worm factory since I would have no idea what a block of coir is. Do you know what this is?

More when the YouthCaN students come to help me set up the worm bedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment